This cake is absolutely delicious and extremely simple to make. It is really moist and has a great almond flavour.
- 100g ground almonds
- Pinch salt
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g regular sugar
- 1 large egg – beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (55g), melted and cooled, plus more for the pan
- ½ teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Glaze (optional) – Mix the ingredients below adding more or less sugar depending on the consistency you want
- Icing sugar
- Almond extract
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line the base of a 6-inch (15cm) cake pan with parchment paper cut to fit and generously butter the bottom and sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, salt and all sugars.
- Add the beaten egg, melted butter, and almond extract to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. The batter should be quite thick.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Carefully turn the cake out of the pan onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- Pour the glaze (if using) over the cooled cake and allow to set (approx. 20min).
The almond cake will keep in an airtight container, or well wrapped in plastic wrap, for several days.
Nice! and Tasty – Chris