- 400g cooked clam meat coarsely chopped
- 4 rashers bacon finely chopped
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 500ml chicken stock
- 250ml dry white wine
- 300ml cream
- Handful of Italian parsley roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a heavy based pan, fry the chopped bacon in a little olive oil until it is just starting to crisp and the bacon fat has all rendered out.
- Remove with a slotted spoon leaving rendered bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and carrot and gently sautée stirring occasionally until starting to soften about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and gently fry for about 1 minute
- Add the diced potato, wine and enough stock to ensure the vegetables are totally covered by liquid.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to break up.
- Stir everything vigorously to break up a lot of the potato – (you are looking for a slightly chunky potato soup type consistency). A potato masher also works well. It is ok if the carrot doesn’t break up as easily as the potato.
- Add all the clam meat and most of the bacon leaving some for the final garnish
- Add the cream and bring everything back to a simmer.
- Stir through the chopped parsley
- Adjust seasoning
Serve in bowls with chunks of crispy bread
Nice! and Tasty – Chris